Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hours 6-12. Drinking, ranting, drinking, bitching, drinking.

After heading home, I only had a few brief minutes to throw together some kind of look (a look which included a few new accessories I grabbed on a mini shopping spree post boatride), check my email, and drink a glass of water. Dressed in what I hoped was age appropriate considering how out of touch I felt, I was in a pair of pin-stripe capri's, a pretty tank from H&M, strappy sandals and my brand-new sunglasses, a necklaces and hair band completed the look. The necklace I knew was cute, but the hairband I had second thoughts about despite it's necessity after a 40 knot boat ride and no shower (hello 80's hair). But that's what happens when the store you've just shopped at looks like it was stocked by Lady Gaga's personal stylist and you've managed to find the one headband that was free of peacock feathers.

Remembering that every moment needed to count and that includes hours spent commuting, I managed to grab a comic I'd been meaning to read for ages as I was heading out the door. For all you geeks and sci-lovers out there, it was Serenity: Those Left Behind. If you want to talk some Whedon, feel free to contact me at my1500hours@gmail.com. Armed with my reading material and a surprising amount of energy despite having woken up at 6:30, I was ready to start my night.

The first stop was the coffee shop that Mr. Drinkwater worked at in the up and coming part of our fair city. A happy surprise awaited me when I realized that Mr. Drinkwater's boyfriend, P, would be joining us. Always happy to hang with a fellow former art major and willing to have as many witnesses as possible to my impending spiral into pure public drunkedness, P and I chilled in the front of the closed cafe, careful to avoid security cameras and talked Wacom graphics tablets as Mr. Drinkwater closed out for the night.

Tonight was a night for celebration with the last day of school for me and the fact that Mr. Drinkwater and P had found a beautiful new apartment with a fantastic skyline of the city and had the digital pictures to prove its aesthetic superiority. The requisite oohing and ahhing commenced, and short walk and brief story from Mr. Drinkwater about a patron who ended up doing some pretty serious shirtless dancing outside the cafe, we arrived at our drinking establishment ready to go.

Lucky for us, one of the waitresses on call was one of Mr. Drinkwater's regulars at the coffee shop. Service industry cross-pollination ensued and speedy service and increased provisions augmented an already enjoyable evening. Realizing that I had only eaten half a tuna sandwich and half a cinnamon bun with all the day's excitement lead me to realize I was in the need of nourishment. Unfortunately, my decision to become a pesceterian several months ago meant that finding a meal on a pub menu was not an easy task, I settled on the very healthy choice of eating a basket of parmesan truffle fries for dinner. Mr. Drinkwater and P, being the lovely gents they are, then proceeded to place a small side salad in front of me with a side of light scolding.

This night was the perfect first night of summer. My drink of this summer and last (and come to think of it, all the months in between) a dirty vodka martini was mixed with a perfect balance and deadly precision. And the fact that I had already downed one by the time the food arrived, meant that that I was at least one sheet to the wind before the second drink was increased by an extra 50% by our kind waitress. Here I lose track of most of the conversation although I remember it was fun, I ranted a bit, we gossiped, bitched and reminisced and acted our age. Which was exactly what I needed.

The rest of the night was still fun, despite the fact that most of it involved train rides, searching for a bathroom (the one we found had a bit of a saloon theme if I remember correctly), and chatting in a bar where one drunken customer begged the boys to dance and we spent the rest of our night out sitting at a table, waiting to be served, which never actually happened. Regardless, I had a fantastic night and thank these guys wholeheartedly for kickstarting my summer. 1488 hours to go.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that on the way home, a fellow geek caught me reading the Serenity comic and we ended up excitedly discussing Whedon and all of his glory. Well, in my case it was more drunkenly than excited, but you get the drift. Anyway, said geek left the train after telling me that I'd made his day since he was unaware of the comic writer side of Joss Whedon. This made me happy because this project is about helping others. Actually, no, it's about being entirely selfish for the most part, but still sometimes helping others makes me happy so it was a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment